SCREED & DOZER OPERATOR
As a screed/dozer operator at Procon, you are responsible for the depth, slope, elevation, and level of sub-grade, stone, and concrete. You will work with the site superintendent and finishing team to ensure you have accurate data and that the final product is satisfactory. This is a critical role as a difference of a small amount over large areas will impact profit of the entire job. Proper planning, attention to detail, and good problem solving skills are essential for success in this role.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
● Be on the job site and set up, ready to work at least 30 minutes before first concrete or stone truck arrives
● Coordinate with site superintendent and finishing superintendent to ensure all details are correct prior to set up
● Calibrate laser guides
● Setup 3d system and mapping
● Operate and maintain equipment to ensure proper depth, grade and finish
● Perform daily inspection and maintenance on the machinery and trailer
● Ensure all tools are stored properly at the end of each shift
● Thoroughly clean screed machine at the end of each shift. No concrete should be on the machine
● Troubleshoot issues in the field to minimize downtime and maximize productivity
● Complete daily job hazard analysis/pre-task plan
● Complete detailed daily reports
● Perform weekly vehicle inspection of company truck
● Thoroughly clean and maintain the company truck and trailer under your care
● Follow all policies and procedures as set forth in Employee Handbook and Corporate Safety Program
Qualifications, Competencies, and skills:
● Concrete experience is required, as the operator will be expected to assist in the general operation at each job site
● Mechanical aptitude
● Positive attitude
● Good problem solving and critical thinking skills
● Attention to detail
● Clean driving record required
● CDL required
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The basic function of this position is to work closely with other team members to complete assigned tasks on time, under budget, and within tolerance in a manner that aligns with Procon, Inc’s values and goals.
This position reports to the finishing foreman or the finishing project manager.
All authority is given from the director of construction services, finishing project manager, or the finishing foreman to perform the necessary duties and responsibilities of this position.
This position will be a manual labor position and the ability to follow directions is critical. This position will require common sense, logical thought, and the ability to work in a safety-conscious manner. This position requires the employee to provide their own personal hand tools and to wear all required PPE.
The physical demands will be standing, walking, crouching, stooping, kneeling, squatting and bending for long periods of time on a regular basis. This job will require a full range of body movements including but not limited to, the use of hands, feet, arms, legs, back, and torso; the ability to push, pull and lift. Must be able to lift and carry 100 lbs repeatedly or continuously over time without “giving out” or fatiguing. Excellent eyesight, with or without correction, is necessary.
Work will be conducted under various weather conditions and temperatures such as extreme heat or cold and will be primarily outdoors.
On a regular basis there will a possible exposure to the following:
1. chemicals, dust, fumes, and other airborne particles from construction equipment
2. direct exposure to fresh concrete which can be caustic
3. vibrations from construction equipment
4. typical construction noise that may exceed normal decibel levels
The ability to speak English and Spanish is preferred.
a. All duties that are associated with the general specialist job description will apply to this position
b. Assist in organizing tools and materials needed for the current day’s work as well as planning for tomorrow. Load and unload trucks as required.
c. Take necessary measures to protect adjacent surfaces and structures from splatters, damage, etc during concrete placement.
d. Recognize the slump of concrete and proper mixes for different applications.
e. Establish finish floor grade during concrete placement using lasers, grade stakes or other methods. Grade may be flat or on a slope at any given point
f. Use and care of hand tools associated with flatwork placement and finishing. Includes, but not limited to: rakes, screeds, magnesium floats, steel trowels, wood floats, bull floats, edgers, jointers, finishing brooms, etc.
g. Use and care of power tools such as lasers, circular saws, cordless tools, etc.
h. Operate power screeds, such as basic vibrating screeds or walk behind laser screeds and power rakes.
i. Operate power trowels, both walk-behind and ride-on trowels, while equipped with different attachments such as float pans, float blades and finishing blades.
j. Conduct the correct steps to obtain the specified finish required for the job
k. Properly layout control-joint patterns and operate walk-behind or handheld saws used to install control joints.
l. Understand different sealers, hardeners, and floor curing methods and the proper way to install each method.
a. Must have the ability to operate equipment such as skid steers, excavators, backhoes, forklifts, power finishing trowels, and motor vehicles.
b. Conduct and document daily pre-trip and pre-startup inspections of any vehicle or equipment to be operated. Report any faulty or non-functioning items immediately to your supervisor.
c. Have knowledge in the safe and correct way to operate required equipment and vehicles. Do not operate any equipment or vehicles unless properly licensed and trained.
d. Must obey all applicable traffic laws and safety procedures, such as seatbelt usage, etc.
a. Accurately maintain and complete the weekly timecard. This must be turned in by noon each Monday to be paid for the previous week
b. Report all near misses, incidents, or accidents to the job site supervisor. This is critical in the improvement of our safety culture.
c. Promptly report any and all mechanical problems with equipment or vehicles as well as any needed supplies for the job site.
a. All other duties required by the President or your Supervisor
b. Follow all policies and procedures as set forth in the Employee Handbook and Corporate Safety Program
If you are interested in this position and would like to be considered as a part of the Procon team, please submit a completed application (Spanish Application Form) and/or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Procon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or any other class protected by law.